Oakshire Production Facility, Eugene, OR; relocation allowance available for successful candidates not located in Eugene
Director of Brewing Operations
Oakshire employee classification
Established in 2006, Oakshire is a community inspired small batch brewing company located in Eugene, Oregon. The company is led by a four-member Leadership Team and employs 25 people. Oakshire exists to create and share great beer experiences and we adhere to our core values throughout our daily operations and long-term planning: Community, Craftsmanship, Teaching and Learning, and Authenticity. Our brewing company is privately owned by its founder, family and friends, and produces an industry leading array of beer styles all at a high-quality mark. We work hard, we’re passionate, and we’re nice to people. And we really love beer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Lead Brewer position reports to and is supported by the Director of Brewing Operations, and performs the following duties and responsibilities:
Wort production & cellar work
- Lead the Production Team by performing all duties and responsibilities listed in the Brewer job description to the highest possible standards.
Planning of production & packaging
- Coordinate wort production, packaging, and racking with Production Planning Team to meet inventory and shipping requirements for finished goods.
- Help schedule and coordinate brew quantities, brews, transfers, and packaging/racking as outlined by the Production Planning Team.
- Help coordinate weekly scheduling with the Director of Brewing Operations for brewers and packaging assistants.
Recipe development, production, and packaging
- Develop recipes for Oakshire’s Pilot Program at the behest of, and in accordance with the Director of Brewing Operations’ creative direction.
- Coordinate and oversee the wort production of Pilot and Vintage beers.
- Monitor fermentations and transfers of all new beers to ensure the highest quality finished product.
- Work with the Packaging Team to can, keg, and/or bottle all beers to the highest standards.
- Work with the Director of Brewing Operations to make incremental changes and improvements to Core Year-Round and Seasonal beer recipes based on year-to-year crop changes in barley and hops, and seasonal variability of incoming water profiles to ensure a consistent finished product.
Facility cleanliness & coordination of maintenance
- Hold all team members accountable to the highest level of facility cleanliness.
- Coordinate with Production personnel and Leadership Team on preventive and non-routine maintenance.
Maintain production documentation
- Maintain documentation as required by Production, Packaging, and Leadership Teams.
- Train and hold staff accountable to documentation standards.
- Submit documentation in a timely manner as outlined by the Director of Brewing Operations and Leadership Team.
- Provide regular feedback regarding time burden associated with all documentation.
Facilitation of Administrative Duties
- Facilitate upkeep of materials supply and inventory documentation to be conducted by Brewhouse, Cellar, and Packaging Personnel.
- Facilitate raw materials and supplies purchasing with Brewhouse, Cellar and Packaging Personnel, and CEO.
- Facilitate ad hoc purchasing needs for Brewhouse and related systems, Cellar and related systems, and Packaging equipment and related systems.
Additional responsibilities as assigned by Director of Brewing Operations and Leadership Team.
- Unwavering positive attitude, calm and steady demeanor, and commitment to making the highest quality beer.
- Motivated, hard-working, and demonstrated ability to lead by example.
- Exceptional verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills and ability to communicate in a positive, clear, and concise manner at all times.
- Ability to recognize and anticipate reaction to and perception of one’s own communications and the communications of others.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team, and lead a team.
- Ability to efficiently manage competing priorities throughout the day while minimizing transition time between tasks.
- Comprehensive hazard and safety program knowledge.
- Ability to anticipate maintenance issues and provide complete information to CEO (including cost calculated recommended corrective actions).
- Mechanical skills sufficient to diagnose and correct small maintenance issues.
- Comprehensive knowledge of raw materials, beer recipe design, and raw material performance throughout the brewing process.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including day, swing or night shifts.
Required Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Professional training at a recognized institution.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a production brewery or large brewpub.
- Minimum of 1 year directly supervising production workers at a production brewery or large brewpub.
- Basic laboratory skills associated with milling and grain handling, cellar operations, and wort production.
- Comprehensive QA/QC experience.
- Forklift certification.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record.
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee in the position described to perform the position’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Those physical demands include:
- Frequently sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, talk and hear, and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Ability to lift and move up to 75 pounds and move kegs which may weigh up to 165 pounds using traditional lifting methods.
- Ability to be frequently exposed to wet conditions, strong and sometimes disagreeable odors, and work with various chemicals safely and per standardized operating procedures.
- Ability to work near moving mechanical parts, to work in a moderate noise level using hearing protection, and to work in a cold environment.