Beer Hall General Manager
Oakshire Beer Hall
Minimum + Tips
We are looking for experienced, reliable, and enthusiastic Pubtenders based in Portland, OR to join our growing team. The Oakshire Beer Hall will be a community gathering space for the Cully/Concordia Neighborhood of NE Portland; where neighbors, friends and family can share great beer experiences. We plan to bring the freshest beer on the planet to Portland and are looking for staff that wants to be a part of it all. If you love beer, think you fit the following job description, and want to be a part of a hard-working, independent and growing company, please apply – we can’t wait to meet you!
Objective: Oakshire’s Pubtenders are integral to Oakshire’s purpose of creating and sharing great beer experiences by adeptly executing the below Duties and Responsibilities while at all times maintaining the below Skills and Traits.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide excellent customer service to all customers while promoting and supporting the Oakshire brand.
- Greet all guests with enthusiasm and friendliness and ensure they have a positive and memorable experience.
- Clearly communicate beer information – styles, descriptions, and background to customers.
- Accurately and passionately talk about Oakshire – the beer, production, and history.
- Be a positive presence in the Beer Hall in order to ensure customer service is consistently high and curating a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere.
- Be kind, patient, and ready to serve.
- Prepare & serve alcoholic beverages in a manner consistent with Oakshire, local, state, and federal standards and laws.
- Maintain a working knowledge of all products present in the Beer Hall – to include non-Oakshire beverages as well as food from our kitchen partner and food cart partners.
- Perform service functions and be adaptable for the various on-site and off-site events operated by the Beer Hall.
- On-site events in the dedicated Beer Hall indoor-outdoor event space to include various tastings, pop-ups, scheduled dinners, presentations, and more that will each require their own specific set of service functions.
- Be able to assist guests in obtaining information relating to any use of the Beer Hall event space.
- Adeptly promote upcoming events in the Beer Hall and local area to customers with a full understanding of event details and logistics.
- Arrive on time for all scheduled shifts – hydrated, rested, fed, and ready to work.
- Execute the Oakshire Beer Hall service program, which provides a comfortable, attended, beer-drinking place loved by Oakshire community members from within & outside the immediate area.
- Be confident working independently as shifts require it.
- Understand and execute all Stand Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Read & Signs at all times.
- Operate the Point of Sale (“POS”) system in an efficient manner and with few errors.
- Maintain the cash drawer, complete accurate cash-out procedures and end-of-day sales transactions via the POS System.
- Promote and practice relevant health and safety standards.
- Prepare work area for opening and closing, following all directives on the daily checklists.
- Complete side work during slower times, following the daily checklists.
- Complete cleaning tasks in accordance with duty rosters and cleaning standards.
Brand Ambassador Program
- Work local tastings, festivals, and events in the trade as assigned by Supervisor.
- Ensure that all items needed to execute a successful tasting/festival/event are ready and stocked, per the checklist provided by Supervisor.
- Arrive on time fully prepared.
- Have a full understanding of the goals for the tasting/festival/event.
- Have an enthusiastic, positive, and professional demeanor during set-up, the event, and breakdown.
- Be completely knowledgeable of products and processes used in the Watershed Market, including filling corn kegs, and selling packaged beer, merchandise, and kegs.
- For keg sales, properly complete all OLCC paperwork and keg deposit/return functions.
- Actively engage with customers, while suggesting and aiding in purchases.
Additional responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor
Required Skills and Traits
Performance of this job will be reviewed in light of ability to maintain the following:
- Healthy interest in and knowledge of craft beer.
- A desire to continually expand knowledge about craft beer and brewing production, especially as it pertains to Oakshire, and to actively engage in on-site continued education initiatives.
- Unwavering positive attitude and commitment to serving the highest quality beer.
- Motivated, hard-working, and demonstrated ability to learn and follow standard operating procedures and schedules.
- Exceptional verbal, non-verbal and written communication skills. Non-verbal communication skills include tone, eye contact, personal presentation and other attributes.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Ability to work closely with fellow team-members, supporting each other as needed.
- Ability to efficiently manage competing priorities throughout the day while minimizing transition time between tasks, while maintaining priority focus on providing an exceptional customer experience.
- Ability to recognize and anticipate reaction to and perception of one’s own communications and the communications of others.
- Ability to learn and follow comprehensive hazard and safety programs.
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including day, swing or night shifts.
- Ability to stand and work on feet for over 8 hours at a time.
- Ability to work in a loud public house environment with alcohol service and follow all laws and rules of such establishment.
Required Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Three years of customer service experience
- OLCC Servers Permit
- Pass the Level 1 Cicerone Certified Beer Server exam within 90 days of hire date
- A flexible, open schedule with the ability to work short notice on-call shifts
The following physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee in the position described to perform the position’s essential functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable employees with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Those physical demands include:
- Frequently sit, stand, walk, reach with hands and arms, climb or balance, talk and hear, and stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
- Ability to lift and move up to 75 pounds and move kegs which may weigh up to 165 pounds using traditional lifting methods.
- Ability to work with various chemicals safely and per standardized operating procedures.
- Ability to work for lengths of time in a cold environment.